About Me

My photo
I am homeschooling mom of 8 wonderful blessings and wife to my best friend.Baby-Wearing, cloth diapering, pregnancy, natural health and healing and living frugally are some of my other interests. I love to read, write, listen to music, shop second hand, photography and enjoy family time especially out in nature. I enjoy cooking and making things as natural and homemade as possible. I also enjoy learning new things and about others along the way.

Popular Posts

Post It

Post It

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Potato Soup


6 slices- bacon (cut into 1 inch pieces)
3 pounds (about 5 large)- russet potatoes
3 1\2 teaspoons- salt
1 cup - sour cream
1\4 pound (1 stick) - butter
2 2\3 cups - whole milk
1\2 teaspoon- black pepper
4 - scallions
3\4 cups - shredded sharp cheddar cheese

cook the bacon pieces over medium heat in a medium skillet until crisp.
Transfer bacon to paper toweling to drain and set aside.
Peel, rinse, and cut potatoes into thirds.
Place them in a large pot with water to cover.
Add 2 teaspoons salt and bring to boil for about 45 minutes.
Drain potatoes, discarding water and return them to the pot.
Mash them them with a potato masher until smooth.
Add the sour cream and butter stir until melted.
Add the milk, Pepper, and remaining salt and bring the soup back to a simmer.
Divide among 8 bowls and serve soup hot garnished with scallions cheese and bacon.

I can't remember where I got this recipe from but I did modify it a bit.
I didn't have bacon on hand so I used real bacon bits and added it to the pot after the milk. I added a bit of sweet onion because I did not have scallions. I also used red skin potatoes instead of russet. I used 2% milk instead of whole and I prefer my potatoes in chunks in my soup instead of mashed. Also I already had shredded Mexican cheese on hand so I used that in the end. Results delicious :) Next time I will use cut up bacon strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Disclosure Statement

This blog is created and edited by me. I may receive products for review and giveaway. The opinions and statements about the products are my honest opinions and thoughts. I do not receive money to review and give away these products. If I do receive any monetary gain, I will disclose it in the particular post. I will not promote or compromise anything I don't stand for or agree with. Thank you for reading.
My Hebrew Name:
Amber
Courtesy of My Hebrew Name