About Me

My photo
I am homeschooling mom of 8 wonderful blessings and wife to my best friend.Baby-Wearing, cloth diapering, pregnancy, natural health and healing and living frugally are some of my other interests. I love to read, write, listen to music, shop second hand, photography and enjoy family time especially out in nature. I enjoy cooking and making things as natural and homemade as possible. I also enjoy learning new things and about others along the way.

Popular Posts

Post It

Post It

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Like Water for Chocolate



I just finished Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Espuival for my December book club. Published in 1989 and was also made into a motion picture in 1992. This story centers around a character named Tita whom is the youngest daughter and her family in Mexico which includes her mama Elena and sisters Gertrudis, Rosaura and their help Chencha and Nacha.

Tita falls in love at a young age but finds out that the family tradition forbids the youngest daughter from marrying so that she can care for her mother. Her mother's stubborn nature does not intend to back down on this particular tradition. She expresses herself through her delicious Mexican dishes in the kitchen where the family cook Nacha raised her.

I found this book refreshing and a bit different from my usual reads. It used food as a great form of expression and passion and how it is a part of our daily lives. Which when you think about it food is a great form of creativity, love, mood buster and sustenance all in one. Sometimes it can also leave a bitter or foul taste in one's mouth as well depending on the preparation and time put into it. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys the love of cooking or eating for that matter.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. My semester is almost over and I plan on ONLY reading for fun during my Christmas break. Maybe this will make it in (though 5 books are ahead of it ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I love to read too. If you do get to it let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at the thought of how Tita might express her feelings toward her mother in the foods she prepared..."Take that, Mom!" with a large dose of chili peppers. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was entertaining the effect of Tita's mood had on the foods she cooked and passed it on to the people whom enjoyed her foods LOL

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger

Disclosure Statement

This blog is created and edited by me. I may receive products for review and giveaway. The opinions and statements about the products are my honest opinions and thoughts. I do not receive money to review and give away these products. If I do receive any monetary gain, I will disclose it in the particular post. I will not promote or compromise anything I don't stand for or agree with. Thank you for reading.
My Hebrew Name:
Amber
Courtesy of My Hebrew Name