About Me

My photo
I am homeschooling mom of 8 wonderful blessings and wife to my best friend.Baby-Wearing, cloth diapering, pregnancy, natural health and healing and living frugally are some of my other interests. I love to read, write, listen to music, shop second hand, photography and enjoy family time especially out in nature. I enjoy cooking and making things as natural and homemade as possible. I also enjoy learning new things and about others along the way.

Popular Posts

Post It

Post It

Sunday, February 3, 2013

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

Some of the book was very hard to read because of the content. I am glad I finished this book to the end. In Jaycee's own words she is not a victim but a survivor. She did what she could to survive 18 years in captivity of confusion, abuse, fear, neglect and loneliness. In the summer of 1991 when Jaycee was eleven she was kidnapped on her way to school by very mentally unstable people (not sure how else to describe their mental state). 

A married couple (Phillip and Nancy) in their thirties decided to take Jaycee and hide her away in their backyard. In this time she was used, neglected and abused. She became a mother at 14 and had another child a few years later both by her captor, Phillip. The whole time she was hoping that someone she trusted would find her or that they would let her go. Jaycee loved her daughters, but Phillip and Nancy confused her by the new dynamics of her "family" by trying to make something abnormal look normal to outsiders. She was confused on how she should feel about them.

Finally in August of 2009, Jaycee and her daughters were finally set free. She finally was reunited with her mom and sister whom she has thought about for the past 18 years. Jaycee talks about some of the struggles of the aftermath of her captivity and the triumphs of starting a new beginning with her daughters and other family members. She is touched by how people that she doesn't know show her they care. Phillip had brainwashed her for 18 years on how must of the world was evil and corrupt (basically like him) Jaycee has started a JAYC (Just ask yourself to Care) foundation Inc. to help other families and animals in need. 

I learned from this book to always let God open my eyes to the needs of those around me. You never know what they may be going through or facing. There are crimes against the most innocent everyday. We can help if we just open our hearts, eyes and minds. Jaycee is an inspiration to how to turn around anything you are going through or have gone through. There is always hope and we can light a candle in the darkness. Sometimes we have to be aware of those most uncomfortable things but if it means saving lives it is a small price to pay for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Disclosure Statement

This blog is created and edited by me. I may receive products for review and giveaway. The opinions and statements about the products are my honest opinions and thoughts. I do not receive money to review and give away these products. If I do receive any monetary gain, I will disclose it in the particular post. I will not promote or compromise anything I don't stand for or agree with. Thank you for reading.
My Hebrew Name:
Amber
Courtesy of My Hebrew Name