About Me

My photo
I am homeschooling mom of 8 wonderful blessings and wife to my best friend.Baby-Wearing, cloth diapering, pregnancy, natural health and healing and living frugally are some of my other interests. I love to read, write, listen to music, shop second hand, photography and enjoy family time especially out in nature. I enjoy cooking and making things as natural and homemade as possible. I also enjoy learning new things and about others along the way.

Popular Posts

Post It

Post It

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

The year is 1666 in a Mountain village in England. Young  Heroine, Anna has lost her husband in a terrible mine accident. She is left with two boys to care for. She secures a means to live by serving the village Minister (rector) and his wife and taking in a tailor from London. She finds herself and her strength throughout the novel.

Mr. and Mrs. Mompellion are the backbone of  keeping the faith and a sense of sanity is this small village during the year of the plague. The people of the village are dying left and right. Despite this, Anna along with the Mompellions' holds on to a hope and faith that good will prevail despite the terrible black plague's destruction to not only the dying but the living as well. It shows how tragedy can effect every one's outlook to either strengthen or deteriorate.  It shows how some will grow more cold and selfish or enter into a survival mode while others with put others before themselves and sacrifice their own health and life to help others.

This was a sad story, but it taught a great lesson on the value of life, community and love among some negative emotions and actions. Also how important it is to hang on to faith even during the most difficult times. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it for a great historical fiction novel, although it is loosely based  on a mountain village located in England in the time of the plague. A Year of Wonders is just that and is worth reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Disclosure Statement

This blog is created and edited by me. I may receive products for review and giveaway. The opinions and statements about the products are my honest opinions and thoughts. I do not receive money to review and give away these products. If I do receive any monetary gain, I will disclose it in the particular post. I will not promote or compromise anything I don't stand for or agree with. Thank you for reading.
My Hebrew Name:
Amber
Courtesy of My Hebrew Name